Everybody loves potatoes, especially the sweet ones. They are like desserts that provide surprising health benefits. However, not many know of this fact. Often times, they think that sweet potatoes don’t have any nutritional value – just the same old plain potatoes that tweak the taste buds with its extra flavor.
However, based on countless researches in relation to natural therapies, sweet potatoes have a lot of unique and special nutritional benefits to offer. The only problem that actually exists is the fact that it has too many benefits that one would have difficulty in knowing where to begin. This underappreciated tuber actually contains antioxidants, anti-inflammatory and blood sugar-regulating nutrients.
For the exactitude of its benefits, here are 9 of the most notable ones:
- High in vitamin B6, it helps in the reduction of chemical homocysteine in the body. Homocysteine is usually linked with degenerative diseases which includes the prevention of heart attacks.
- Great source of Vitamin C, the contents of sweet potatoes help the acceleration of wound recoveries by encouraging the production of collagen. Collagen helps the maintenance of the skin’s youthful elasticity and is essential in the body’s stress coping mechanism. Not only those, it’s also known to aid the body in the protection against harmful toxins that lead to cancer.
- Its heavy Vitamin D content plays a crucial role in the support of the immune system and the overall health. With its biophysical properties that are a combination of vitamins and hormones, Vitamin D is created from the body’s adequate exposure to sunlight. It pays an exceptional role in the maintenance of the body’s energy levels, moods and aids in the building of healthier bones, heart, nerves, skin and teeth. Apart from those, it also supports the thyroid gland.
- Iron is a very common nutrient that the body needs when it comes to energy sustenance. However, it’s benefits do not end there. Iron also supports the reproduction of red and white blood cells, building of susceptibility to stress, improving proper immune system functions and metabolizing of protein.
- Known to encourage relaxation and is an effective anti-stress mineral, magnesium is included in the many nutritional content of sweet potatoes. It is also necessary in the promotion of a healthy artery, blood, bone, heart, muscle and nerve function.
- Potassium is one of the important electrolytes that help in the regulation of the heart beat and the nerve signals. It’s an electrolyte known to do wonders in the body that includes the relaxation of muscle contractions, reduction of abnormal swellings and the protection and control of kidney activities.
- Rich in natural sugar, the innate confection of sweet potato ensures balance and regularization of the blood’s main energy source. Without sugar in the blood, it increases the body’s risk to fatigue and weight gain.
- Colors in fruits and vegetables are great indicators of the type of nutrients they behold. In the case of sweet potatoes, they are high in carotenoids, which are precursory vitamin A’s. It’s benefit in the body include the strengthening of the eyesight and the boosting of the immunity to ward off diseases. Sweet potatoes are rich in antioxidants, a common ingredient for natural therapies, that ward off cancer and protect the effects of aging.